Wednesday, April 8, 2009

After a bit of a hiatus...

Now that Madison has arrived Mike and I plan on updating the blog a bit more, filling everyone in on some of the daily happenings with us, just like we did with Aidan. So feel free to tell friends and family to stop by and see what we're up to.

Since being home we haven't really done much other than just trying to figure out how to get through the day on as little sleep as possible. That being said, Madison is breaking us in gently. The first 2 nights she woke up for a few hours in the very early morning, however this morning she slept through most of the night, waking only to eat and be changed so I was able to catch up on some much needed sleep. She woke up around 9am and we checked out her new room, trying out her swing and playing with some of her hand and feet rattles. We sang some songs and read a story about Easter. After that Madison was wiped out for the rest of the morning.

Mike came home from his unemployment meeting and fell asleep. Madison wanted to join Daddy and an adorable photo shoot insued.

Below is the birth story I posted on facebook:
Alright well we just got home today, we didn't have internet while at the hospital so you know how much it was killing Mike, but Mike is holding Madison right now so I figured this would be the best time to try and write everything down for everyone.We got to the hospital on Friday around 1pm and boy was Labor and Delivery hopping!! It seemed like everyone was trying to have babies in time for the weekend. Our nurse said that we might be getting pushed back a bit, I was nervous already so this wasn't helping any. Then we heard that we were still almost on time they were just trying to find an assistant to help the doctor with the section...I saw a look in Mike's eye and told him, "do not volunteer yourself, you are not assisting him!" LOL about 15 minutes after 3pm the doctor came in and apologized for being late. His excuse cracks me up whenever I think about it- he ate a burrito for lunch and fell asleep! I told him that it was fine, I'd rather him be well rested than doing the surgery tired. So they took me to the operating room, got me all prepped, gave me my spinal and then anxiety took over. They gave me extra oxygen and it made me feel like I couldn't breathe (weird i know) I started to feel VERY nauseous, the docs and nurses calmed me down and then I got really sleepy. They brought Mike into the room and soon they began. I'll spare you all the gory details, the end result was Madison arrived at 3:56pm perfect and healthy. About 2 hours later I got to hold Madison for the first time, I looked at her and saw a female version of Aidan staring back at me, she was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen! All of the medication made me super tired and nauseous, so I don't really remember a lot about Friday night. Mike's parents came and visited and about an hour later they took Madison back to the nursery to let all of us get some well deserved rest. They kept her until the following morning.Saturday was a whirlwind!! Madison had a never ending supply of visitors coming to love on her. We appreciate all of the love and support from everyone that came to visit, it really meant a lot to us. Around 10am, the nurse came in and told me I could lose my IV and try to walk. I remember all the horror stories of people telling me make sure I got up and walked as soon as possible, how sore I would be and more. So I prepared myself for the pain and stood up--it wasn't bad at all, a little sore and uncomfortable, but I was so happy that it wasn't severe pain like I was expecting. I was so happy because the bed was NOT comfortable, so I didn't spend a lot of time in bed on Saturday. After all the visitors left, my nurse came in and asked if I had rested, I told her no, she said, well now you have orders to put your feet up the rest of the night. She said if I push myself too much I will regret it in the morning. We decided to try our hand at keeping Madison for the night. Can I just state for the record right now before this changes but we have the world's best baby!! She woke up a few times when she was hungry but overall she didn't cry super loud and I definitely got more rest than I expected to. Sunday brought another round of visitors and cabin fever definitely started to set in, so when there was talk of me getting discharged the next day I was all over that. The doctor was very pleased with my progress and said I would probably get my staples out the following morning. Madison got a clean bill of health from her pediatrician despite having a slight case of jaundice, she didn't have to be under the lights or anything though. Sunday night was pretty uneventful, just like Saturday she woke up only for about 2 hours and didn't have any major meltdowns. This morning we got the all clear that both of us were free to go. We had yet to get a hospital photo taken, so we made sure to do that before we left. The photographer was too funny. She said Madison was so animated and there were so many good pictures she couldn't decide on just one. She had us sign consent forms to enter Madison into a Cutest Baby contest which made us swell with pride and said she might use some of the photos in sample birth announcements. I couldn't decide on just one pose, so we got 2 of them, they are just too funny and no words will do them justice. Mike agreed to get the 2nd pose only after I said he could get a new hard drive...wasn't too excited about that but had to do what I had to do LOL.


Rebecca said...


Hopefully you got our little care package for sweet Madison! That picture of her on your blog header of her is PRECIOUS! She is absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

how much did she end up weighing ?

laura said...

Madison weighed in at 8lbs 7.5 oz :) so a little bit bigger than expected

Anonymous said...

"Kiczeks Uninterrupted" That is too funny!!!! your so clever!!! by the way i have the key to mikes car, remind me to bring it over!!!